- Formerly senior advisor to Rep. Richard A. Gephardt (D-MO) and served as the policy director on his 2004 presidential campaign.
- principal advisor to Gephart on matters involving the judiciary, financial services, and information technology
- Assistant Counsel for the NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund
- civil rights policy and litigated voting rights and school desegregation cases
- Legislative Counsel to Sen. Harris L. Wofford (D-PA).
- Education: Harvard Law School and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill